Thursday, March 27, 2008

All by my lonesome!

Sorry I haven't done much posting the past week, but Josh has done such a great job (and he actually beat me to the Jim Thompson house post!)

Josh is in Indonesia for the next week, so I've got the place to myself. I'm trying to get onto a regular schedule as far as work and play are concerned. I'm now thinking that I'll work in the afternoons, since most events happen in the mornings (the temperature is better, for one thing).

I was originally worried about not having enough to do, but I think the opposite may be the case: there are an enormous number of activities to enjoy! There is sightseeing and shopping, but there are events at the American Women's Club (which I've joined), the Siam Society, the Embassy, and any number of other places-- plus there are Thai language classes, art classes, and so on. Three years is now seeming like too short a time!

This week I've been trying out some assorted things: on Monday morning I went to an "Adjusting in Bangkok" coffee meet-up held by the American Women's Club at the "Au Bon Pain" down at the Emporium shopping center (two stops down the Skytrain line from where we are). This evening, I went to the Siam Society to check it out and see a talk on "Birds in Chinese Art". It was incredibly interesting and right up my alley (I now know how to tell a boy phoenix from a girl phoenix, which I'm sure will come in very handy in the future!) I think Josh and I are going to spring for Siam Society memberships, as they are always having events and trips, plus that will give us access to a fantastic library on Asian history and culture.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to an "Armchair Anthropology" lecture on the Thai approach to the spirit world, and Saturday morning I am going to a craft fair which is held monthly at the Ambassador Hotel, just down Soi 11 from us. ThaiCraft is a fair-trade organization which sponsors numerous Thai artisans producing all kinds of products, and they have a fair like this at the Ambassador once or twice a month. If you are looking for anything specific, let us know and we will look for it!

1 comment:

Grandma Mare said...

Ellen and Josh,
I am LOVING reading and seeing all about your adventures. What an experience!!! Keep up the good work of letting us all live vicariously..
Marian (Grandma's neighbor)